I love this recipe because it uses oil and makes it so easy for kids to make on their own.
I did pre measure for each child the ingredients. Definitely helps to keep things contained and the kids feel really big making their own recipe.
I HALFED the recipe below for each child.
Recipe from www.halfbakedharvest.com
- 2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup colored chocolate lentils
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with butter or line with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking soda, salt, canola oil, eggs and vanilla. Beat until the dough is moist and all the ingredients are combined. The dough will be crumbly. Mix in the chocolate chips and 1/4 cup candy pieces.
3. Press the dough into the prepared baking dish and scatter the remaining 1/4 cup candy over top. Transfer to the oven and bake 18-20 minutes or until the edges are set and the bars are golden. Let cool and then cut into bars.