These pictures above are shorter ones as I gave the younger ones less puff pastry. Still absolutely delicious!
These were such a hit and I thank Chani Apfelbaum from Busy in Brooklyn for her recipe!
This was a super easy baking class with little prep and even my two year old could do it!
I had the ingredients pre measured and the kids took turns adding and mixing. Then I divided the cream cheese mixture and the crumb mixture into little cups so each child could do their own.
Here’s the recipe which is from Busy in Brooklyn (You can find images on hot to make them by clicking link)
Cheese Babka Straws
8oz. block cream cheese, softened (I used tofutti cream cheese to keep these parve)
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or 1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
½ cup flour
½ cup sugar
¼ cup melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
1 egg + 1 Tbsp water, for egg wash
1. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Prepare the cheese filling: In a bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, egg yolk. Beat until creamy.
3. Prepare the vanilla crumbs: In a second bowl, combine the flour, sugar, butter, vanilla, and salt. Mix until crumbly.
4. Prepare the babka straws: Working with one sheet of puff pastry at a time, roll the dough out lightly to form a large rectangle. With the short side facing you, Spread half of the
cheese mixture on the bottom lower half of the dough; fold uncoated half over cheese side.
4. Using a pizza cutter, cut the pastry into ½-¾-inch strips. Transfer each strip to one of the baking sheets, spaced an inch or so apart. As you set them down, twist the ends in opposite directions
to give the straws a spiraled look. Repeat with second sheet of puff pastry and the remaining cheese filling.
5. Brush straws lightly with egg wash. Sprinkle with vanilla crumbs.
6. Bake until puffed and golden, about 25 minutes.
Since this recipe uses cream cheese, it should be stored in the refrigerator.
Straws may be frozen raw or baked. I prefer to freeze them raw and bake fresh. Place frozen straws directly in the oven and bake as above.