I just tried this new recipe today and had to share it. It’s a most perfect loaf cake for anytime and any occasion.
It’s simple and easy and can be adapted to your tastes (see my notes below).
Wishing you all a sweet peaceful shabbos!
From Bon Appetite
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray (I use parchment paper to line loaf pan)
- 1Â½Â cupsÂ all-purpose flour
- 2Â teaspoonsÂ baking powder
- Â¾Â teaspoonÂ kosher salt, plus more
- 1Â tablespoonÂ finely grated grapefruit zest
- 1Â cupÂ granulated sugar
- 2Â large eggs, room temperature
- â…“Â cupÂ vegetable oil
- 1Â teaspoonÂ vanilla extract
- Â¾Â cupÂ plus 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt (I used tofutti sour cream to make this cake parve. Â SoDelicious ‘Yogurt’ would work too).
- 8Â tablespoonsÂ fresh grapefruit juice, divided
- 1Â tablespoonÂ poppy seeds, plus more for sprinkling
- Â½Â cupÂ powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350Â°. Line an 8Â½x4Â½” loaf pan, preferably metal, with parchment paper, leaving overhang on the long sides, and lightly coat with nonstick spray. Whisk flour, baking powder, and Â¾ tsp. salt in a medium bowl.
- Using your fingers, work grapefruit zest into granulated sugar in a large bowl until sugar starts to clump and mixture is very fragrant, about 1 minute. Add eggs, oil, and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer on high speed until light and thick, about 4 minutes. Reduce speed to low and mix in half of dry ingredients, then mix in Â¾ cup yogurt. Mix in remaining dry ingredients followed by 5 Tbsp. grapefruit juice and 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds. Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top.
- Bake cake until top is golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 50â€“60 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack. Poke holes in top of cake and brush remaining 3 Tbsp. grapefruit juice over top. Let sit 15 minutes, then run a knife around sides to loosen and use parchment paper to lift cake out of pan and onto rack. Remove parchment and let cool completely.
- Whisk powdered sugar, remaining 1 Tbsp. yogurt, 1 tsp. water, and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl until smooth and drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with poppy seeds and let sit until glaze is set, about 30 minutes.
- Do Ahead:Â Loaf can be baked and glazed 3 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
Chana’s notes: you can easily omit poppy seeds, and even poking holes and glazing with grapefruit juice. You can also mix powdered sugar with just water or even lemon juice or grapefruit juice for a tangy drizzle.