Honey Pops for Rosh Hashanah! What cuter way to wish family and friends a â€˜Sweet New Yearâ€™ than to make these sweet favors that can be used to give out to guests at a Rosh Hashanah dinner or simply as a favor for any program in Tishrei!
A fun project to do in Hebrew School or preschool (with adult help of course!) or even in a teen club!
These Honey Pops can be used to sweeten a cup of tea Â or to soothe a sore throat, or simply to indulge in a sweet treat! Pair one with a slice of apple on everyone’s place setting for a table decoration and take home favor!
- 1/2 Â to 1 Cup HoneyÂ – Really, any amount will do. About 1 cup honey yields about 20 lollipops.
- Lollipop SticksÂ –
- Silpat Mat or Parchment Paper
- A Candy ThermometerÂ – This is helpful, but not necessary.
- Pour honey in a small sauce pan and bring it to a boil over medium heat. If you have a candy thermometer, use it to tell you when the honey reaches about 300 degrees Fahrenheit. It’ll take about 10 minutes. If you don’t have a candy thermometer, you can test the honey by dropping a bit of it into a cup of ice water. If it hardens (like candy) it’s ready. If not, keep on boiling.Â *Keep a super close eye on your honey. It will seem like nothings happening for a while, then it will increase in temperature very quickly. It’s better to test often and too soon, than to miss the mark and burn a batch.Â
- When the honey reaches 300 degrees, remove it from the burner.
- Pour small circles on the silpat mat or a piece of parchment paper. After pouring five or so circles, stop and put the lollipop sticks in each circle of honey. Give the sticks a little twist to be sure they’re really stuck in there. Continue creating small honey circles on the mat, stopping every few minutes to put in the sticks.
- Allow them to cool and harden on the counter completely at room temperature, about a half hour.
- To store, wrap them with a bit of plastic wrap and secure them with string or a twist tie or package them in individual cell packets tied with string. Adorn with a cute personalized labels and tags!