I seem to be slightly obsessed with biscotti right now. I’m not sure if its the dark sky that arrives a little earlier, making a cup of tea and biscotti at the end of my day somewhat more reachable or maybe it’s just a winter craving.
In any event, I prefer this recipe to my previous post as it held together better and was easier to slice and more crispy…at least for the first 2 days. (The biscotti tends to soften a bit as time goes by….but I don’t have that problem as I seem to eat these by the dozen!).
I think these would be great with chocolate pieces in them or even dried apricots and cranberries.
Orange and Almond Biscotti:
- 1 Â 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoonÂ tapiocaÂ flourÂ (or starch)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- orange zest of two medium-sized orangesÂ
- 1/2Â cup slivered almonds
- 1/2Â cup mini chocolate chips, meltedÂ (optional, for dipping)Â
- Preheat oven to 350ÂºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the almond flour, tapioca flour, salt and baking soda until all of the ingredients are well combined. Â Add the honey, juice, zest and almonds and mix until the dough forms a ball. (I used a food processor and it worked well too).
- On the prepared baking sheet, form the dough into a log that measures about 10â€³ long and 2â€³ wide. (the dough does not really roll, so simply shape it into a log shape using your fingers.)
- Bake at 350Â° for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool for 1 hour.Â OnceÂ completelyÂ cooled, cut Â into 1/2-inch slices with a very sharp knife.
- Spread slices out on a baking sheet (cut side down) and bake at 250Â° for 10 minutes. Â Turn over and bake an additional 10 minutes on the other side. Turn off the oven and let them sit inside the oven on the baking sheet until fully cooled.
Yields 12 Gluten-free + VeganÂ cookies