My husband’s most favorite cake and in all honesty it truly is the best carrot cake I have ever tasted!
It has quite a few ingredients but don’t let that scare you, it’s really worth it in the end!
2 cups flour
1 cup wheat germ
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
2 Teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 chopped walnuts
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup firmly packed light brown or dark brown sugar
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup buttermilk – i used almond milk
3 cups coarsley shredded carrots
1 cup lightly packed shredded sweetened coconut
2 Tsp. vanilla extract
1. preheat 350 degrees. grease and flour a 9×13 pan or 2 9″ rounds ( I use parchment paper)
2. Using a whisk combine flour, wheat germ, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in walnuts and raisins.
3. in a separate bowl, beat together the brown sugar, honey, oil, buttermilk, and eggs. Stir in carrots, coconut, and vanilla.
4. stir the carrot mixture into the flour mixture until thoroughly combined.
5. pour into prepared pan.
6. Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let stand 20 minutes.
2 8oz packages cream cheese- i use tofutti cream cheese
1 cup confectioners sugar
whip frosting ingredients together and spread on cake once completely cooled.
I just made it, looks heaven. Can it sit out, covered, till Tom night or does it need to go in the fridge/freezer?
I’m concerned about the frosting..
Can I substitute the wheat germ and ww flour for regular white flour?
I have never done that before so I can’t say for sure what results would be. I think you could give it a try but it will change the taste and texture slightly.